The Australian Government has extended the School Student Broadband Initiative providing up to 30,000 eligible families with no internet at home a free National Broadband Network (NBN) service.
The School Student Broadband Initiative is primarily intended as an affordability measure to help those with school-aged children and is aimed to boost education opportunities and narrow the digital divide. The initiative is being implemented by NBNCo. Families can nominate to receive a free service is up to 31 December 2024, and the free services will continue until 31 December 2025 for all existing and new families.
The Government has invested $8.8 million to support NBN Co’s implementation and delivery of this targeted affordability measure. This includes an additional $4.3 million to extend the free services to 31 December 2025.
“We encourage local families that are eligible to make use of this excellent initiative, which allows children to access online resources that boost their education,” said Liverpool Plains Shire Mayor Doug Hawkins.
To be eligible, a family must:
- Have a child living at home that is enrolled in an Australian school.
- Have no active broadband service over the NBN network.
- Live in a premise where they can access a standard NBN service.
- Not have had an active NBN service during the previous 14 days.
Families can directly contact the National Referral Centre to have their eligibility assessed or be referred by a participating nominating organisation.
To check your eligibility, follow these simple steps.
- Contact the National Referral Centre, operated by Anglicare Victoria, on 1800 954 610 (Mon–Fri, 10am–6pm AEDT), www.anglicarevic.org.au/student-internet.
- The National Referral Centre team will help assess your eligibility for the SSBI, by checking several things including your residential address and current financial situation.
- If eligible, you will be issued a voucher which can be redeemed at any of the participating SSBI retail service providers. The National Referral Centre will also be available to assist with contacting your SSBI retail service provider of choice and providing follow-up support.