The escape of two patients from a Sydney mental health facility has prompted NSW upper house member Mark Banasiak to demand urgent answers from the Government about staffing and security at Tamworth’s Banksia Mental Health Unit as a new 37 bed expansion nears completion.
The existing Banksia Mental Health Unit remains operational while construction of a new 37 bed purpose built facility is finalised. However, concerns raised by locals directly involved with the healthcare system have prompted questions about whether staffing and security are currently adequate, and whether they will be sufficient when the significantly larger facility opens.
The concerns come at a time when the state’s mental health system is already under intense scrutiny, following the escape of two patients from Cumberland Hospital earlier this month, which allegedly resulted in multiple tragic fatalities and injuries.
The Shooters, Fishers and Farmers Party Member of the Legislative Council said regional communities deserved confidence that mental health facilities are properly resourced, both now and into the future.
“We are hearing concerning reports about staffing pressures and security arrangements at the existing Banksia unit,” Mr Banasiak said.
“Locals have told us that police are at times transferring patients to the facility and leaving immediately, which raises legitimate questions about whether the unit has the resources it needs to safely manage those presentations.”
“With a new, significantly larger mental health facility due to open soon, it is critical that the Government can demonstrate it has the workforce, security, and systems in place to support it.”
The new three story facility will have 37 beds in total, twelve more than the existing Banksia House, and include a high-acuity zone, and dedicated beds for both older people and adolescents. It is also much closer to the hospital, connected by a skybridge to allow easier patient transfers. The building was scheduled to be completed in late 2025 and opened to patients in early 2026.
Mr Banasiak said the issue was not about criticising frontline staff but ensuring they were properly supported.
“This is not about blaming the dedicated nurses, clinicians, police and staff who do an incredibly difficult job. It is about making sure they have the resources they need to care for patients safely,” he said.
“The tragic incidents at Cumberland Hospital have shown just how serious the consequences can be when systems fail.”
His comments follow a series of serious incidents in Sydney linked to patients who absconded from care at Cumberland Hospital. NSW officials have promised a security review after confirming a driver charged over a police pursuit that ended in two deaths had fled the hospital on February 8. Another patient absconded the day before and was later charged over a fatal stabbing.
NSW Mental Health Minister Rose Jackson has launched an urgent review into Cumberland Hospital’s security protocols, and has previously conceded the system is underfunded.
Mr Banasiak said the Government must immediately answer key questions, including current staffing levels at the existing Banksia unit, what security arrangements are in place, and how staffing and security will be increased when the new facility opens.
He has also asked whether the new facility will have dedicated security posted on site or whether services will be shared with other facilities, including the hospital, what protocols exist when police transfer patients to the facility, and what workforce planning has been undertaken to support the expanded unit.
“Regional communities cannot be treated as second class when it comes to mental health services,” Mr Banasiak said.
“The Government must be upfront with the community and guarantee that appropriate staffing and security arrangements will be in place before the new facility opens.”
The new three storey Banksia Mental Health Unit was scheduled to be completed in late 2025 and opened to patients in early 2026.
Mr Banasiak said he would be raising the matter formally with the Minister in Parliament.
Like what you’re reading? Support New England Times by making a small contribution today and help us keep delivering local news paywall-free. Donate now
