There are now 8 fires causing concern around Tenterfield, although only one – the Christies Fire in the Jennings/Wallangarra area – is still at Emergency Warning level, the other seven are at Watch and Act.
Jennings and Nymbodia Public Schools are closed today due to the fire threat. Schools do not offer minimal supervision when schools are temporarily closed due to bushfire threat. Residents of Tenterfield are also being warned to be aware of ember attack. Embers and falling ash will be blown long distances ahead of the main fire front starting spot fires, these may impact your home earlier than the main fire front.
The following situation is at 4AM on 1 November. Please check here for the current conditions.
- Christies (Tenterfield LGA) – Leave Now – Jennings – A large bush fire is burning in the Jennings area and has crossed the New England Highway south of Jennings. Fire activity has increased and properties are under threat. If you are in the areas of Wallangarra in Queensland and Jennings in New South Wales, LEAVE NOW to the Wallangarra School of the Arts, Merimba St, Wallangara.
- Ogilvie Dr, Tabulam (Tenterfield LGA) – Reduced Threat – A bush fire is burning in the areas of Plains Station and Pagans Flat, 50km northeast of Tenterfield and has burned more than 1,300 hectares.
- Frost Rd, Woodside, Mole Station Rd, (Tenterfield LGA) – Reduced Threat: A large bush fire is burning in the Woodside and Sunnyside areas. The fire is more than 2,800 hectares in size and is out of control. The alert level for this fire has been downgraded as conditions eased across the fireground overnight.
- Sawyers Creek, Donnybrook State Forest – Reduced Threat – A large bush fire is burning in the Tarban, Woodside and Sunnyside areas. The alert level for this fire has been downgraded as conditions ease across the fireground. If you are in the area of Tenterfield, Tarban, Woodside or Sunnyside, monitor conditions and take advice from firefighters on the ground. Stay alert to the risk of embers blown ahead of the fire front.
- Scrub Rd, Tenterfield – Monitor Conditions – A bush fire is burning in the vicinity of Scrub Rd and Billirimba Rd, 4km southeast of Tenterfield. The fire has burnt more than 1100 hectares and is out of control.
- Benders Creek and Branch Creek – Reduced Threat – Two bush fires are burning in inaccessible terrain in the area of Benders Creek and Branch Creek, south of Tenterfield. The alert level for these fires has been downgraded as conditions ease across the fireground. People along the New England Hwy, South of Tenterfield, in the vicinity of Bluff River, Bungulla, Benders Creek and Branch Creek, should monitor conditions and stay alert.
- Maryland Cullendore Rd , Maryland – Monitor Conditions – A grass fire is burning in the Maryland area approximately 60km north of Tenterfield, near the Queensland border. The fire is spreading to the east towards Mount Lindesay Road.
An evacuation centre for residents who have been affected by the Tenterfield Fires has been established at:
Tenterfield Showground, Manners Street, TENTERFIELD NSW 2372
Memorial Hall, 10 Barnes Street, TABULAM NSW 2469
Stay up to date on bush fires in your area by checking Fires Near Me, the NSW RFS website, listening to your local radio station, or by calling the NSW RFS Bush Fire Information Line on 1800 679 737.