Gunnedah Shire residents between 12 and 24 are being urged to pick up their phone or their camera and start getting creative for NSW Youth Week 2023.
Gunnedah Shire Council has announced the Youth Week Short Film Competition as one of the headline acts for an action-packed Youth Week from April 20-30 that also includes a silent disco, a Youth Expo and movies.
Young people are being asked to make a film of between 60 seconds and three minutes with the theme of “Connect, Participate and Celebrate in Gunnedah”.
“Gunnedah Shire has a growing population and we are excited about this creative way to see and hear what our younger generation has to say,” Gunnedah Shire Council Manager Economy and Growth Susan Frater said.
“The Youth Week Short Film Competition is the ideal way for people to tell their own stories in their own way, using just their smartphone or a camera. We are looking forward to original movies and some really great visuals.”
Entries in the categories of 12-16 and 17-24 are due by Thursday, April 27 and will be screened at the Civic Theatre on Saturday, April 29, with $200 Gunny Money gift card for the winner, $100 Gunny Money gift card for second, a $50 Gunny Money gift card for third and $20 Gunny Money gift card for highly commended.
Other events planned for Youth Week are:
- Thursday, April 20: $10 movie screening of Super Mario Bros. Movie 1.30pm – with a free $5 combo!
- Friday, April 21: Free silent disco from 6.30pm to 9.30pm! Barbecue dinner and transport included. Please advise PCYC Youth Hub of attendance (02) 6742 1586
- Saturday, April 22: Free movie screening of Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves at 6pm
- Thursday, April 27: ANNUAL YOUTH EXPO, supported by education providers, local employers and services to identify career pathways, Town Hall, free entry 9am-3pm
- Friday, April 28: Discobility all inclusive disco at PCYC from 6pm to 8.30pm. Theme: Superheroes. Please advise PCYC Youth Hub of attendance (02) 6742 1586.
To find out more about Youth Week in Gunnedah, visit https://www.thecivic.com.au/youth